Hiccups are natural reactions in our bodies. Which gives us temporary discomfort. Today we will end these discomforts. Here we will see how to get rid of hiccups? which causes hiccups? and many more.
Medical Name — synchronous diaphragmatic flutter (SDF) or singultus
Hiccups often occur suddenly and can quickly become annoying.Mostly they ended automatically but contact to your doctor if they disturb your eating or sleeping habits.
Here is a list of contents included in this article.
Contents in this articleWhat are hiccups? scientifically
What causes hiccups ?
How to get rid of hiccups?
What are hiccups ?
According to Wikipedia, “The hiccups (hik-ups) are a discomfort in which one randomly gasps due to bubbles in the diaphragm”.
Hiccups are simply involuntary muscle spasms of the diaphragm muscle.When the muscle spasms, the vocal cords snap shut, producing the hiccup sound.
At the same time, the voice box contracts and the vocal folds close, effectively blocking the flow of air. When anything irritates your diaphragm, it can spasm and make you suck air into your throat. After every contraction of your diaphragm, your vocal cords clamp shut, creating that sound.
Diaphragm — According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), Your diaphragm is a dome-shaped muscle right below your lungs, and it’s the main muscle you use to breathe, Whenever you breathe in, your diaphragm tightens and moves downward. When you breathe out, it relaxes and rises into your chest cavity.
Common Reasons that cause hiccups ?
Hiccups can be occur due to many reasons such as eating too fast and swallowing air, chewing gum, eating or drinking too much, stress or anxiety, or there are more serious causes like nerve damage, brain tumors, and strokes.
Some Common causes of hiccups include :
- Any disease or disorder that irritates the nerves that control the diaphragm (such as liver disease, pneumonia, or other lung disorders).
- Eating or drinking too much,
- Eating too quickly and swallowing air along with foods.
- Sudden changes in temperature.
- Some medications for acid reflux, nicotine, and ondansetron etc
- Any disease or disorder that controls the diaphragm(such as liver disease, pneumonia, or other lung disorders).
- Abdominal surgery can also control the diaphragm, causing hiccups.
- Noxious fumes can also trigger hiccups.
How to get rid of hiccups ?
Mostly hiccups ended automatically but contact to your doctor if they disturb your eating or sleeping habits. These long term hiccups called chronic hiccups that last for more than 48 hours.
Things to eat or drink while hiccups
- Eat some sugar – Put a pinch of granulated sugar on your tongue and let it sit there for 5 to 10 seconds, then swallow.
- Suck a lemon slice – If eating sugar doesn’t work then You can suck lemon slice with salt according to your taste.
- vinegar -If Lemon Is not Work also then one more way is by Put a drop of vinegar on your tongue.
- Drink or suck colder things – If you have no vinegar and Lemon are also not working than You can mix a slice of ice in water and then drunk. Any Colder things can help you now. It will stimulate the vagus nerve. You can Cover that glass with a cloth. Suck ice cube or drink Gargle ice water for 30 seconds with repetition. This will definitely help you to get rid from hiccups.
- Eat honey or peanut butter – If Colder things are also not working Then you can Allow Honey or peanut butter to dissolve in your mouth a bit after swallowing in mouth.
- Hold your breath – When Eating and drinking techniques also failed then some breathing exercises may help you. You can Inhale air as much as you can and hold it for about 10 to 15 seconds, then breathe out slowly. and Repeat it.
- Breathe into a paper bag – If you repeat holding your breaths but still your hiccups are not stopping. Then Place a paper lunch bag over your mouth and nose. Slowly breathe in and out, deflating and inflating the bag. May This help you But Never use a plastic bag.
- Compress your chest -If breath exercises also fails then you can try different postures, Postures which compress your chest are the first one. Create pressure on your diaphragm by Lean or bend forward your chest.
- Cover Your Mouth -Compressing your chest is not working also then you can Pinch your nose and mouth for some seconds until you can hold breaths.
- Stick your tongue out – If Covering your mouth also did not work then you can try to stick your tongue out for some time. This will simulate oxygen directly to the lungs.
- Hug your Knees – If you tired by sticking your tongue out and still hiccups are not stoping you can try this effective way of Compressing your chest by hug your knees. This can get you rid of hiccups.
- Close your ears – If all of this is not working also then you can put your figures on your ears for some minutes.
Pressure points are areas of your body that are directly connected with a part of our body and automatically effect that part when pressed. Applying pressure to these points with your hands may help to relax your diaphragm or stimulate your vagus or phrenic nerves.
- Press on your diaphragm -If all of the upper techniques are not working then maybe the pressure points technique may work in your case. You can create pressure on the diaphragm with your hands. Use your hand to apply pressure to the area.
- Press the palm of your hand – If Pressing Diaphragm is not working after 2-3 minutes you can try this also. Press the palm of your hand with the thumb of your other hand. Or you can squeeze the ball of your left thumb between the thumb and forefinger of the right.
- Tap your Neck sides -If you tried tapping center of your palm but it still not works then you should try to tap your neck sides, We have a carotid artery on both sides of our neck. Turn your head to the left, and massage the artery on the right side in a circular motion for 5 to 10 seconds. This can help you to stop hiccups.
If your hiccups are still not stopping then maybe you become a patient of chronic hiccups which are long term hiccups you should contact your doctor quickly if it is chronic hiccups.
Don’t forget to leave comments .
Please Check These Interesting topics also.